A fire official says two young children trapped under dirt at a residential construction site in North Carolina are not expected to be found alive.
The children are believed to be trapped several feet underground after a dirt wall collapsed on them at a construction site in the town of Denver.
Crews used shovels and climbing gear trying to get to the children. So far, those efforts have come up empty.
Search effort: Firefighters from several places, including nearby Charlotte, are on the scene in Stanley, North Carolina
Denver Fire Department public information officer Dion Burleson told The Associated Press late Sunday that the effort by emergency personnel turned from a rescue to a recovery effort, meaning officials believe the 7-year-old boy and 6-year-old girl are dead.
A father of one of the children was reportedly in the process of digging out the basement of the unfinished home when the children were caught in the collapse.
Firefighters from several nearby areas, including Charlotte, were on the scene in Stanley.
Burleson says more information will be released later Sunday.
Desperate: Crews used shovels and climbing gear trying to get to the children. So far, those efforts have come up empty
WCNC reported that the children, believed to be cousins, were in a basement under construction when a wall collapsed on them.
The man who called was the father of one of the children, Burleson said. Rescuers were on scene within minutes, but could not reach them.
The stations say firefighters were using shovels and climbing gear to try to get the children out.
Video from WSOC shows backhoes scooping dirt from a deep hole surrounded by dirt.
This is 'devastating for both the family members and responders who are on the scene,' Burleson said. 'This is a tragic night in Denver.'
In an interview with WCNC, he added that the crews will work 'all night, if necessary.'
Effort: Rescue crews were seen using shovels and climbing gear to try to get the children out